Institute for Advanced Study
One of the most important places is for sure the Institute for Advanced Study. Located next to the
famous University of Princeton, the IAS was a place where the brightest minds of mathematicians and physicists came
together. Among them were such outstanding scientists like Albert Einstein, Oswald Veblen and John von Neumann. All of them
are mentioned in that famous interview of Dr. Rinehart. Please note, that Albert Einstein indeed had an office first in the
buildings of the Princeton University and later within the new buildings of the IAS.
Another tidbit is the person of Harry Hess of Princeton, who participated in submarine gravity studies during the 30ties, probably the
same expedition that T.T. Brown had been a part of.
Please report dead links to the webmaster
A Princeton Companion
Fill out the form to search documents related to the History of the Princeton Campus.
Because the IAS is located next to the Princeton Campus, one can find lots of documents
Concerning the IAS as well.
After Einstein's acceptance of appointment at the Institute for Advanced Study in 1933, the University enjoyed a renewal of its earlier association with him. All four of his colleagues in the Institute's
School of Mathematics -- its first branch -- had previously been professors in the University, and until the Institute erected its first building in 1939, Einstein's office (Room 109) and theirs were located
in the University's original Fine Hall, a building that contained several decorative tributes to Einstein's genius -- his relativity equations among the motifs in the leaded windows and his famous remark, ``God
is subtle, but he is not malicious,'' carved in the original German over the fireplace in the Common Room. When the Institute's Fuld Hall was completed in 1939, Einstein took an office there on the ground floor,
customarily walking the mile-and-a-half between his white frame house at 112 Mercer Street and the Institute.
Mathematical research in the United States was further advanced when the Institute for Advanced Study was founded in Princeton in 1930. Although the Institute and the University are separate institutions, they have
had close and productive relations from the beginning. The School of Mathematics was the first branch of the Institute to be staffed in 1932, and had temporary quarters in Fine Hall until 1939. Two of the Institute's
first five professors, Alexander and Veblen, had been at the University for many years, John von Neumann had been professor of mathematical physics since 1930, and Hermann Weyl had been the Thomas D. Jones Professor of
Mathematical Physics at Princeton in 1928-1929. Only Einstein had never held a position at the University, although he had delivered a series of lectures there on the theory of relativity in 1921.
Since its earliest years, the Institute has held an eminent position in the fields of pure mathematics and mathematical physics. Albert Einstein and John von Neumann were among the creative leaders on its distinguished
faculty. As years have passed, the Institute has expanded its areas of coverage.
In 1932 Veblen resigned the Fine Professorship to accept appointment as the first professor in the Institute for Advanced Study, which had just been established. He was largely responsible for selecting the other members
of its original mathematics faculty (James W. Alexander II, Albert Einstein, John von Neumann, and Herman Weyl) and also for determining the Institute's policy of concentrating on postdoctoral research.
During the thirties Hess participated in submarine gravity studies of the West Indies island arc, and, in order to facilitate operations on Navy submarines, he acquired a commission as lieutenant, junior grade, thus initiating
a long association with the United States Naval Reserve, where he ultimately rose to the rank of rear admiral. Called to active duty in 1941, he discharged important wartime duties and, at the same time, kept alive his scientific
curiosity. Early in the war, he developed a successful system for estimating the daily positions of German submarines in the North Atlantic, and in order to obtain a first-hand test of the effectiveness of his detection program,
he served, at his own request, on a hazardous mission aboard the submarine decoy vessel U.S.S. Big Horn.