The 773rd was the last unit of the USAF to be employed at the Montauk Airforce Station. They were in charge until 1989, when the
Airforce Station was finally shutdown.
Please report dead links to the webmaster
The Montauk base was later incorporated into the
nation's first two-air defense radar networks known as the "Lashup" and "Permanent" networks. Operation of the
base was the responsibility of the Air Force's 773rd Aircraft Control & Warning (AC&W) Squadron.
Dallie was an Air Force baby, his dad assigned to the 773rd Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron -- or
"ACWRON" in Air Force talk -- Air Defense Command, United States Air Force. The radar site was located at
Montauk Point on the eastern tip of Long Island.
A HISTORY OF TEXAS TOWERS IN AIR DEFENSE 1952-1964 by Thomas W. Ray
TT-3 followed suit in October 1958 (SAGE installation)
TT-4, in mid-April 1959, was declared manually operational, and in April 1960, SAGE operational. Cost
of the towers, including platform, legs, radars and communications equipment was reckoned at around
$13 million each, and with operating expenses figuring about $1.5 million annually thereafter. TT-3
reported to, and comprised an annex of the 773rd AC&-W Squadron (Montauk, New York); TT-4, the
646th AC&W Squadron (Highlands, New Jersey).